20120507

Rajorshi Ghosh

Rajorshi Ghosh

SEVEN ART LIMITED
M-44/2, Souterrain,M Block Market, Greater Kailash II
March 30–May 12

Rajorshi Ghosh, Rooms by the Sea #1, 2007–12, projector, DVD player, speakers, acrylic, light-resistive tape, dimensions variable.
Upon entry, there is an overwhelming sense of space: Rajorshi Ghosh’s four architectural installations in this show are spare, inviting viewers to project their imaginations, at high tide, onto the rigid mathematics of a room. “Rooms by the Sea” reconstructs the essential workings of the psyche through a seascape. The source of this idea is in a wall text that quotes Salman Rushdie’s 1991 speech at Columbia University, in the wake of the fatwa issued against him: “I’ve lived in that messy ocean all my life. I’ve fished in it for my art. This turbulent sea . . . is the sea by which I was born and which I carry with me wherever I go.” Ghosh elevates architecture to art: His structures are only habitable in the mind, and his images transcend the rational. The viewer’s imagination is realigned and renovated, so that upon exit, one turns the corner with an altered perspective.text Himali Singh Soin